Synergy staff members are advancing solutions in public health and public education systems across the country. We speak 26 languages and represent 27 countries. Our diverse backgrounds bring important perspectives to the services we deliver.
Research Associate- Strategic Communications
Synergy Enterprises, Inc., a woman owned government contractor located in North Bethesda, MD, currently has an opportunity for a full-time employee (at least 30 hours a week) as a Research Associate. Job location remote with ability to use an office and/or meeting space when needed.
This position is an integral part of a growing policy team and applicants should have excellent time management skills and very close attention to detail. This position will work on substance use policy projects, conducting legal and policy research on alcohol and cannabis use patterns, policies, programs, and more. The candidate should be a strong team member as well as take initiative to work independently on a variety of tasks.
These tasks include:
- Conducting literature reviews
- Tracking substance misuse data and trends from state and national surveys
- Reviewing and tracking alcohol and cannabis policies at the state and national level
- Writing reports, briefs, memos, and other supplemental material
- And other duties as assigned.
- Provide support for a variety of activities, including, but not limited to, websites, research reports, manuscripts, white papers, environmental scans, case studies, fact sheets, presentations, webinars, and other products
- Conduct policy and legal analysis with support from legal researchers and social scientists
- Ensure all products and work meets high standards including various Federal guidelines.
- Support regular project meetings through agenda development and meeting minutes.
- Assist in the development of plain language communication materials.
- Update internal project tracking spreadsheets.
- Participate in client meetings and workgroups, as appropriate and prepare meeting materials.
- BA or Master’s degree and 3-5 years of experience in Social Science research (may be during undergraduate education) in the fields of public health, education and educational policy, public policy, sociology, psychology, political science, or government, or related field.
- Demonstrated skills in research, writing, and project management
- Team player able to jump in and take on any task as needed.
- Self-starter with exceptional time management and multitasking skills
- Outstanding attention to detail with excellent organization skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in substance use policy preferred
- Proof of vaccination for COVID-19, or proof of valid medical or religious exemption, will be required upon hire.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop; bend; push; turn; crawl; sit; use hands to handle objects and documents; manipulate objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision; ability to recognize, register, and respond; color recognition; depth perception. Employee may use office equipment such as telephone, computer, computer software, calculator, printer, copier, and facsimile.
- Work environment: Employees are not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of employees so classified.