Synergy staff members are advancing solutions in public health and public education systems across the country. We speak 26 languages and represent 27 countries. Our diverse backgrounds bring important perspectives to the services we deliver.
Senior Research Associate/Research Associate
Synergy Enterprises, Inc., a minority and woman owned government contractor located in North Bethesda, MD, currently has an opportunity for two full-time employees (at least 30 hours a week) as a Senior Research Associate or Research Associate depending on candidate experience. This position is remote. All applicants must be U.S. citizens and able to obtain a security clearance.
This position is an integral part of the Data Team and applicants should have excellent time management skills and very close attention to detail. This position works across various projects with a focus on education and public health alongside the other members of the Data Team, taking primary responsibility for various research and analysis tasks. Ideal applicants are able to work both as a team member or individually and be able to switch between the two as needed. These tasks include:
- Providing statistical and programming support in Stata, R, Python, or SAS,
- Supporting Synergy in conducting evaluations of education and or public health projects through all stages from design to administration,
- Reviewing and editing publications for a variety of clients,
- Conducting research independently and with minimal oversight,
- Writing short informational reports and publications,
- Developing, analyzing, and reporting on datasets both large and small,
- Verifying and proofing data tables and other statistical reports,
- And other duties as assigned.
- Develop data collection instruments for quantitative and qualitative research studies;
- Conduct analysis on quantitative data using standard and advanced statistical techniques including advanced regression techniques and survey sampling statistics;
- Design and perform specialized statistical analyses on national cross-sectional and longitudinal data sets specializing in education and health data;
- Provide support for a variety of activities, including, but not limited to, developing research reports, evaluations of programs and policies, white papers, environmental scans, case studies, workshop packets, fact sheets, presentations, newsletters, webinars, and technical assistance related products;
- Able to analyze a variety of data with minimal instruction;
- Ensure data and reporting meet high standards including various Federal guidelines.
- Strong interest in education policy and/or health policy a plus
- Strictly follow data security protocols.
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external clients to explain methods, interpret results and create effective tabular and graphical displays.
- Interact with knowledge experts to specify statistical models.
- Innovate statistical methods or adapt standard statistical methods, as needed.
- Create specifications for building analytic data files.
- Senior Research associate: PhD degree or Master’s degree and at least 5-7 years of experience in Social Sciences research (public health (health communication experience preferred)), evaluation, educational policy, public policy, sociology, psychology, political science, or government), statistics, or related field.
- Research associate: PhD degree or Master’s degree and at least 3-5 years of experience in Social Sciences research (public health (health communication experience preferred)), evaluation, educational policy, public policy, sociology, psychology, political science, or government), statistics, or related field.
- Demonstrated skills in research, data collection, and analysis, including work with complex surveys and sample analysis.
- Able to obtain necessary clearances from various Federal agencies. U.S. Citizenship a must.
- Strong social science statistical analysis experience using SAS, SPSS, STATA, Python, and/or R. Text analysis and survey research programming preferred.
- Team player able to jump in and take on any task as needed.
- Self-starter with exceptional time management and multitasking skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Other job requirements:
- Proof of vaccination for COVID-19, or proof of valid medical or religious exemption, will be required upon hire.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop; bend; push; turn; crawl; sit; use hands to handle objects and documents; manipulate objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision; ability to recognize, register, and respond; color recognition; depth perception. Employee may use office equipment such as telephone, computer, computer software, calculator, printer, copier, and facsimile.
- Work environment: Employees are not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of employees so classified.